Excel is well-known in the business world for spreadsheets and math, and did you know that Excel can even create a 3D Animated Coaster!
This book “I Wish I Knew How to … Program Excel 2016 with Xojo in Windows” goes into the numerous options of programming Excel.
With the many great improvements and updates to both Xojo and Microsoft Excel, the 2016 version contains many code updates.
The ‘I Wish I Knew’ series contains technical data and advice that makes sense and contains practical and numerous examples with explanations to allow you to ease into the steep programming curve. You can create Microsoft Excel applications today!
Click to download the Excel 2016 Xojo Table of Contents.
There are 14 chapters with more than 300 pages with over 120 example programs. The book is a live document and will likely have updates in the future.
Examples include graphing, pivot tables, speaking in Excel, printing pages, sorting, saving Excel files to PDF, and more. Many screenshots have been added to show the results of the code with a full index to help find topics quickly.The book is in PDF format with example chapter folders containing Xojo source code and running examples.
This ebook is a pdf formatted document and all examples include Xojo code. This is one of many books which can be purchased at Xojo Library.
Note: Microsoft Office must be installed for this to work.
New to Version 3.0 – March 2016
- Bring the Xojo application in front of the Excel program (Other-3)
- Count Total Rows with Data (Example 10-12)
- Count Individual Rows with Data (Example 10-13)
- Convert Serial Date:Time to Gregorian Calendar Format (Example 4-12)
- Select Rows and Columns at the same time (Example 10-14)
- Clear Column Cell Data (Example 3-20)
- Clear Row Cell Data (Example 3-21)
- Delete Column Cell Data (Example 3-22)
- Delete Row Cell Data (Example 3-23)
- Move Worksheet (Example 3-24)
- Updated Xojo projects to the new Xojo format
- Updated to 2016 Excel
- Rbp to xojo_binary_project files
- Tested all projects
- Updated screen grabs
- Application framework updates
- Update sheet activate (Example 3-15)
- Make book and supplied example match (Example 4-6 and 4-7)
- Updated Gantt Chart (Example 4-9)
- Updated Pie Chart (Example 4-11)
- Total editing time is not available in Excel but is in Word (Example 5-1)
- The Office arguement is now case sensitive for Example 5-3
- Added detection of Excel 2016 (Example 5-13)
- Updated and added vertical and horizontal print quality (Example 6-9)
- Get and Set paper size (Example 6-10)
- Added Office System Driver location for Example 11-1 – Access Database
- Added Speedometer Gauge example (Example 7-14)
New to Version 3.1 – September 2017
- Added Scattered Plot Line Thickness Change (Example 4-13)
- Added Print Selected Cells example (Example 6-15)
- Added PrintArea of cells to the printer (Example 6-16)
- Added Detect Excel file in Read-only mode (Example 5-14)
- Suppress Informative Message Box for Read-Only files (Example 5-15)
- Bring Excel Application window to the front (Example Other 5)
- Added the ability to copy and paste column data from one sheet to another (Example 13-1)
- Added an example for a vertical lookup (VLOOKUP) from one sheet to another (Example 13-2)
- Added an example to move data from a listbox to Excel (Example 3-25)
New to Version 3.2 – December 2017
- Added Form Checkbox Example (Example 14-1)
- Added Form DropDown Control (Example 14-2)
- Added Form Spinner Control (Example 14-3)
- Added Form Listbox Control (Example 14-4)
- Added Form OptionButtons Control (Example 14-5)
- Added Form Labels Control (Example 14-6)
New to Version 3.3 – April 2018
- Many thanks to Alberto De Poo for his editing suggestions
- Clarification: Examples will work with Office 365, and almost no examples will work in the reader (Chapter 5)
- Excel Viewer will be retired in April 2018
- Update code in Example 2-3 to include Add and Visible to match the book
- Changed Example 203 (Page 21) description where the only open sheet is Sheet1 and not Sheet3
- Page 22 has the text changed that data is added to the second sheet
- Page 53 (Example 3-15) change data that is added to the second sheet
- Changed Example 3-15 to allow the option of language-neutral selection of teh pages using an integer value. Caution - an integer value of 2 will select the second sheet, and "Sheet2" will select the correct sheet tab name, even if it is not the second sheet
- Added alphabetical Excel sheet ordering in Example 3-26
- Added example to place an Excel Addin at runtime (Example Other-6)
- Added change text colour (Example 3-27)