Xojo Windows Declare Version 4.4 has just been finished with updates to Xojo 2019 r3.1 that has implemented Xojo-API2.
Xojo provides a RAD (Rapid Application Development) environment because it protects the user from the Operating System. Xojo has many helpful functions, and declares add to this existing toolbox.
Tapping into the Operating System directly with Declares opens up almost all of the options available for a program - but you are also out of the protection of the safe IDE (Integrated Development Environment) of Xojo. With the ability to change anything with the program or operating system, improper code also provides the ability of a crash. This is written for intermediate and advanced programmers of Xojo.
All examples have been converted to 32-bit, 64-bit, ANSI, and Unicode versions.This book is Version 4.5 (May 2023).
This book provides many examples that are converted from C++ functions to Xojo. Although there are many Visual Basic examples that can be converted, vb declare example are becoming outdated, have different parameters, or contain misinformation. For these reasons converting from C++ to Xojo is a long-lasting alternative and which this book provides many descriptions, reasons, references, and working examples for Xojo declares.
There are 34 chapters and contains over 1150 pages with over 160 example programs.
New to Version 4.0 – May 2020
- Begin task of updating all examples to Xojo API2
- Updated many screen grabs for example programs, and updated to Windows 10
- All Analyze Code switches for API2 have been turned on
- Change Example1-1 to use Value instead of Text
- Update Microsoft Docs reference for C++ Beep function
- Change Example1-2 to use Value instead of Text
- Change the DWORD value to use a UInt32
- Update Example1-3 to use API2 version of a double by adding a decimal point
- Update Example1-4 to use Value instead of Text
- Updated Example1-5 byte for space to be 32 instead of 65535 for CString
- Updated Example 1-6 to Xojo API2, Value instead of text, and Memoryblock change
- Added newer version to check IsUnicode for newer OS Unicode compatibility
- Updated Example 1-7 to API code version 2 in Xojo
- Changed Screen grab and updated old Text to Value code in Example 1-8
- Updated Example 1-12 to API2 code and updated Microsoft reference.
- Updated Example 1-13 to API2 code
- Example 1-14 had changes to the way a MemoryBlock was built. Updated Middle code from Mid, Updated declare.
- Updated Example 1-18 to API2 with new references to Microsoft C++ code.
- Updated Example 1-19 to API2 with code changes.
- Example 1-16 updated to API2 and provided two methods for handing nil pointer value. Thanks to Julian Samphire for the second method.
- Added Example 1-21 for Project Warnings and Errors removal of issues using CType in API2.
- Updated Example 2-1 to Xojo API 2 code – update text to value
- Updated Example 2-2 – Updated to API 2 code
- Example 2-3 API 2 updated code
- Text to Value update with Example 2-4 for Xojo API 2 code
- Update Example 2-5 to Xojo API 2
- Example 2-6: API 2 code update for MemoryBlock
- Example 2-7 Update text to value to API 2 update
- Text to value update Example 2-8
- Update Example 2-9 to API 2
- 42 updates to Example 2-10 to API 2
- Update Example 3-1 with text to value
- Update Example 3-2 to API 2 code
- Msgbox to Messagebox update in Example 3-3, as well as InStr to IndexOf
- Example 4-1 API updates: Text to Value, Dim to Var.
- Example 4-2 updated to API2
- Example 4-3 Len to Length, Dim to Var, and text to Value updates.
- Update Example 4-4 to API 2 code
- Example 4-5 update len to length, and use the new AddRow API2 command
- Example 4-6: AbsolutePath to Nativepath, Volume to FolderItem.DriveAt updates to API2
- Update AbsolutePath to NativePath, Volume to FolderItem.DriveAt update in Example 4-7
- Update Example 4-8 to API2 code
- Updated Left to String.Left, Right to String.Right, Volume to FolderItem.DriveAt, and other updates to API in Example 4-9 with over 21 updates
- Example 4-10, removed unused variable, Ubound to LastRowIndex, Append to AddRow, InitialDirectory to InitialFolder, DeleteAllRows to RemoveAllRows, and over 18 updates to API2
- Updated Example 4-11 to API2 code
- DeleteAllRows to RemoveAllRows, HasHeading to HasHeader, Heading to HeaderAt, Cell to CellValueAt, MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show
- Example 5-1, updated Ubound to LastRowIndex, Append to AddRow, and more to API2
- Example 5-2 update to API2 code
- Example 5-3 API2 code update
- Update Example 5-5 to API2 code
- Update API2 code in Example 5-6
- Example 5-9: Update to API2 code, remove unused local variable
- Example 5-10, removed unused local variable, and updated to API2 code
- Example 6-1, removed unused local variable, MsgBox to MessageDialog, and numerous updates to API2 code.
- Removed unused local variable, MsgBox to MessageDialog, and other API2 updates in Example 6-2.
- Updated Example 6-3 to API2
- Update Example 6-4 to API2
- API2 update with Example 6-5, along with other updates
- Modification of Example 6-6 and API2 update
- Example 6-7 API2 update
- Various API2 updates in Example 6-8 - Reported FailedAssertion error in Feedback.
- Example 6-9 API2 updates
- Example 6-10 API2 updates
- GetFolderItem update to Folderitem.Constructor, and MsgBox to MessageDialog.show with other API2 updates in Example 6-11.
- Example 6-12: remove unused local variable, and other API2 updates.
- Updated Example 6-13 to API2.
- Removed unused local variable, and other updates to API2 in Example 6-14, and reported Machine Linking Error.
- Example 6-15: Local variable removed, Msgbox to MessageDialog.Show update, To Value from Text, and other API2 updates.
- Remove unused local variable, and perform other API2 updates in Example 6-16.
- Example 6-17 API2 updates: Redefined identifier, and workaround for Xojo.Rect unavailable in structures.
- Example 6-18 – reported Compiler failed assertion at LinkLD.cpp:394, and changed various commands to API2.
- Example 6-19, RECT reidentification with Xojo.Rect, submitted ‘Compiler failed assertion at MachineCodeLinker.cpp:83’, colour conversion, and performed various other API2 updates.
- Example 6-20: Workaround Xojo.Rect, Uboud to LastRowIndex, MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show, and other updates to API2.
- Example 6-21: Workaround Xojo.Rect, Uboud to LastRowIndex, MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show, and other updates to API2.
- Example 6-22: Workaround Xojo.Rect, Uboud to LastRowIndex, MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show, and other updates to API2.
- Example 7-1: MessageDialog, Length, and workaround for RECT structure to API2
- Removed unused variable, workaround for RECT structure, Length, and other updates to API2 in Examples 7-2, 7-3, 7-4, 7-5, and 7-6.
- Removed unused variable, workaround for RECT structure, Length, and other updates to API2 in Examples 8-1, 8-2, 8-3, 8-4.
- Example 9-1: short to Int16, Text to SelectedRowValue, ListIndex to SelectedRowIndex, and more updates to API2
- Example 9-2, workaround for Xojo.Rect, Text to SelectedRowValue, MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show, ListIndex to SelectedRowIndex, Short as Int16 and other updates to API2.
- Example 10-1 updates to API2 include WinHWND to Handle and other updates.
- Example 10-2 remove unused local variables, WinHWND to Handle, and other updates to API2.
- Workaround Xojo.Rect, WinHWND to Handle, Len to Length, removed unused variables, and other updates to Example 10-3 for API2.
- Example 11-1 various updates to API2, which includes AbsolutePath to NativePath, Volume to FolderItem.DriveAt, TrueChild to Child, and other updates.
- Example 12-1: DeleteAllRows to RemoveAllRows, Remove unused variable, and other API2 updates.
- Example 12-2 updates include Text to Value, DeleteAllRows to RemoveAllRows, remove unused variables, and other updates to API2.
- Example 13-2 change from MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show and other API2 updates
- MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show and other updates for Example 13-3 to API2.
- Examples 13-3 and 13-4 have some updates to code for API2
- Example 14-3, create workaround for Xojo.Point bug, Text to Value, and other updates for API2 code
- Example 15-1, remove unused local variables, MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show, Text to Value, BackColor to BackgroundColor, and other API2 updates were performed.
- Example 16-1, MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show, GetFolderItem to FolderItem.Constructor, OpenAsSound to SoundOpen, and other API2 updates.
- Example 16-2, Text to Value, MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show, OpenDialog to OpenFileDialog, InitialDirectory to InitialFolder, GetFolderItem to FolderItem.Constructor, CountFields to MemoryBlock, CountFieldsB to CountFields, NthFieldB to NthField, and other API2 updates.
- Example 16-3, MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show, OpenDialog to OpenFileDialog, Text to Value, InitialDirectory to InitialFolder, GetFolderItem to FolderItem.Constructor, CountFieldsB to CountFields, NthFieldB to NthField, Date to DateTime and conversion troubleshooting, and other API2 updates.
- Example 16-4: MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show, OpenDialog to OpenFileDialog, InitialFolder to InitialDirectory, Text to Value, GetFolderItem to FolderItem.Constructor and other API2 updates.
- Update Example 17-1 and 17-2 to various API2 code changes.
- Example 18-1: removed unused local variable, text to Value, and other API2 upgrades
- Example 19-1, general update to API2 code
- Example 19-2: workaround Xojo.RECT, Text to Value, and other API2 code updates
- Example 20-1: general update to API2
- Example 20-2: Workaround for Xojo.RECT, reported Compiler failed assertion at MachineCodeLinker.cpp:83 error, general update to API2 code
- Example 20-3: Workaround for Xojo.RECT, change calling code for GetMonitorInfoW and GetMonitorInfoA, and other updates to API2.
- Example 21-1: Update State to VisualState, Text to Value, CheckedStates to VisualStates, and other updates to API2
- Example 21-2: Update State to VisualState, Text to Value, CheckedStates to VisualStates, and other updates to API2
- Example 21-3: Update Text to Value, MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show and other API2 updates.
- Example 21-4: Text to Value upgrade, MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show, and other API2 upgrades.
- Example 21-5: State to VisualState, CheckedStates to VisualStates, text to Value, and other API2 updates.
- Example 21-6: State to VisualState, Text to Value, CheckedStates to VisualStates, and API2 updates to code.
- Example 22-1: Update FolderItem to FolderItem with Pathmodes, Timer Modemultiple to multiple, mode to runmode, and other API2 Updates.
- Example 22-2: removed unused local variable, MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show, Text to Value,
- Example 22-3 updates include, removing unused variables, MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show, Text to Value, and other API2 code updates.
- Removed Unused variables, MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show, Text to Value updates to API2 in Example 22-4, Example 22-5, Example 22-6, Example 22-7, Example 22-8, and Example 22-9
- Example 23-1, 23-2, 23-3, updated to API2 code with various common codes.
- Example 23-4: Update Len to Length, MsgBox to MessageDialog.Show, and other API2 updates.
- Example 23-5 has numerous updates to Value from Text, Var from Dim, and many other updates.
Multiple updates to the remaining chapter that repeat those that were mentioned in the previous updates.
New to Version 4.1 – June 2020
- Created Example 5-11 Aero Window Blur – Thanks to Julien.
New to Version 4.2 – October 2020
- Fixed 64-bit version of colour selector of Example 15-1 – Thanks to Norman.
New to Version 4.3 – July 2021
- Explained Stucture Union in Chapter 33
- Add SendInput for a keyboard Virtual Key (Example 33-1)
- Add SendInput for a Mouse key (Example 33-2)
- Added Virtual Key Code constants (Appendix CR)
- Added MouseFlag Code constants (Appendix CS)
- Added tagINPUT structure description and MB equivalent for 32-bit and 64-bit compatibility
- Added SendInput function for completeness and 32-bit and 64-bit compatibility
New to Version 4.4 – February 2022
This version has a focus on the Windows Clipboard API’s. This is a start of the many declares and there is much more content that can be created.
- Updated clipboard constant CF_DIBVS to CF_DIBV5
- Added CF_HTML Clipboard Format Type
- Added CF_RICHTEXT Clipboard Format Type
- Added GetClipboardformat to retrieve clipboard data (Example 29-3)
- Added EmptyClipboard example (Example 29-4)
- Added Generic Cut, Copy, and Paste (Example 29-5)
- Added Load a BMP picture file to the clipboard (Example 29-6)
- View clipboard picture data (Example 29-7)
- Added tagBITMAPINFOHEADER structure
- Added CF_DIB picture from clipboard to display (Example 29-8)
- Added CountClipboardFormats Structure
- Added EnumClipboardFormats Structure
- Added GetClipboardFormatName for both ANSI and Unicode
- Added the ability to retrieve clipboard formats (Example 29-9)
New to Version 4.5 – May 2023
This version has a focus on the Windows Audio and Video API’s.
- Added update for Windows 11 OS
- Included more options on mciSendString rewrite function and Declare
- Updated Example 16-1 with new mciSendString function – Record Sound
- Updated Example 16-2 with new mciSendString function – Play Sound Files
- Updated Example 16-3 with new mciSendString function – Extra Audio Data
- Added dynamic audio volume control, Example 16-4
- Updated Example 16-4 with new mciSendString function – Audio volume
- Created Example 16-5 with mciSendString function – Left-Right volume
- Created Example 16-6 with mciSendString function – Left-Right mute
- Created Example 16-7 with mciSendString function – audio playback speed
- Created a new chapter for videos with MCIString function – Chapter 34
- Updated Example 34-1 to API2 controls
- Updated Example 34-1 to updated mciSendString function declare for open, play, pause, resume, stop, and close commands
- Updated Example 34-1 to API2 DesktopApplication. DesktopMenuBar, DesktopTextField, DesktopLabel, and DesktopWindow for videos.
- Added Example 34-2 which changes movie screen size and position.
- Added Example 34-3 for extra video data, including Frame Rate.
- Added Example 34-4 to dynamically change the volume of a video during runtime.
- Added Example 34-5 to dynamically change right-left volume of a video at runtime
- Added Example 34-6 to mute left-right sound channels while playing a video.
- Added Example 34-7 which changes video and audio playback speed.
Note: Programming in Windows API is an advanced topic!
Examples include creating controls, a new window, GDI, Pens, brushes, Structures, Files, LoWord, Audio, play video, and much more. Many screenshots have been added to show the results of the code with an index to help find topics quickly.
The ebook is a pdf formatted document and all examples include Xojo code. Click to download the Table of Contents.
This is one of the many available books at Xojo Library where many Xojo resources are available.